Want to see your event on this page? Submit content to Coordinator@WesternQuarterQuakers.org!
The Kennett Underground Railroad Center is hosting a symposium on current research on the UGRR in this and nearby regions. It will take place on Saturday, May 23, 2015, from 9:30 to 2:30, at London Grove Meeting. The symposium has been organized by Chris Densmore, Curator of the Friends Historical Library at Swarthmore College, and member of the KURC Board.
A Symposium on Current Research on the Underground Railroad in Southeastern Pennsylvania, Delaware, New Jersey, and New York
Location: London Grove Friends Meetinghouse
9:30 10:30 Opening Session: Introduction and Research Roundtable
10:30 10:45 Coffee Break
10:45 12:00 Morning Session
12:00 1:00 Lunch and Poster Sessions
1:00 2:30 Afternoon Session
Speakers/Panelists and Topics (more may be added)
* Dr. Christopher P. Barton, “Archaeological Investigation of Timbuckto (NJ)”
* Tom Calarco, “Secret Lives of the Underground Railroad in New York City.”
* Milt Diggins, “The Kidnapping of the Parker Sisters.”
* Dr. Cheryl Gooch, “What it Means to be Free: Uncovering the Undocumented History of
Freedom-Seeking: African-Americans of Hinsonville, Chester Co, PA.”
* Nancy Webster, “The Landscape of the Underground Railroad.”
After each presentation there will be a question and answer session.
• Admission to this event is free. Coffee, tea, and water will be provided. A lunch of hoagies, wraps, salad, and fruit will be available for $6, payable by cash or check on the day of the symposium, catered by Triple Fresh Market, East Fallowfield. (Make checks out to KURC). You may of course bring your own lunch.
• If you plan to attend, please respond by May 20 by email or phone to firstname.lastname@example.org or 302-475-0554. Let us know your name and if you will purchase lunch, so the caterer can prepare accordingly.
For a pdf to print, click here: KURC UGRR Symp 05-23-15B